Reading Options: Option 2: Public Domain Edition

           During middle school, all students were required to take language arts. Within the language arts unit, there were several modules that focused on Greek and Roman mythology, fables, and epics. These were my favorite topics to study in middle school, and I've carried those stories with me into adulthood. I've always enjoyed those stories because they parallel to real life and other stories and proverbs in the Bible. I liked learning about the gods and goddesses. After reading to Rama: Avator of Vishnu of Public Domain Editions of  the Ramayan, I read about how the gods ascended to earth as humans and how sacrifices were being made. The passage focused a lot on the war between good and and evil between gods and demons. It continued to speak a sacrificial offerings, wisdom, and the mark of higher gods. I'm excited to learn more about the Indian culture and history. I've only skimmed the surface of the Indian culture, meaning the only information that I really know is about the religion and the capital. Despite my lack of knowledge, I still aim to get a deeper understanding. I know very little about Islam, but I have meditated. Meditation is very calming, and everyone has their on form of meditation. As a non-denominational Christian, my version of meditation is carried out through prayer and visualization. Even though I am not Islamic, there are similar values and mores that we share. Indian influences are everywhere. I have watched Indian films on Netlfix and some of the customs were depicted, such as dancing. I think that Indian dance is very cool, and I would love to take a class to learn. There are some Indian influences in American music, such as in Coldplay's song Hymn for the Weekend ft. Beyonce.
Image Information: Che and Ganesha, Graffiti in Barcelona Wikimedia Commons

This image above is similar to the graffiti and wall art illustrated in the Hymn for the Weekend music video which was filmed in India. I believe that this figure in the art represents some Indian monument, deity, or symbol of the culture. I feel as though there is a message behind the image that I would love to understand. There is more to the eye than the surface, which is why this course is helpful. I can get a deeper understanding about the culture. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove