Growth Mindset

 I find it ironic that I have a topic in my course pertaining to growth mindset. I'm in the Miss Black OU pageant and my platform is "Moving your Mindset," which embodies the same content presented by Carol Dweck concerning a fixed perspective. This assignment really clung to me, as I have come to the age where I must learn from failures and engage with my weaknesses. I can attest to having a fixed-mindset at one point, and I'm learning to remove myself from this sort of thinking. In the Ted, Talk, The Power of Believing that You Can Improve, Dweck used a medical analogy as to why our mindsets can inadvertently become fixed. As a pre-medicine student, her usage of the medical processes regarding brain activity when humans ere pulled me into the talk even the more. She explained to the listener how it is logical and innate that we reply to such errors, but the issue that we must understand is how to alter the response to the negative stimulus and electrical impulse. For example, as pre-medicine student, I have to take difficult courses such as organic chemistry, genetics, cell biology, statistics, as well as many others. Despite the fact that I know these courses are difficult, I still get very discourage whenever I perform on an exam or quiz poorly. My mind immediately wants me to revert to the negative self talk that "I'm not good enough to go to medical school or to be an orthopedic surgeon." With that negative talk continually playing in my head, I find myself becoming more afraid and improbable to continue pursuing the pre-medicine track. For instances like these, Dweck's TedTalk is relevant; she wants us to learn from our errors and correct them. Dweck says," Are we raising kids who don't know how to dream big dreams? Their biggest goal is getting the next A, or the next test score?" During my college career, I have found myself getting lost in the smaller goals of getting the next or the next test score. All of my life, I made straight As until my freshman year in college. My first semester I had all As except for one course. I even face this struggle now. I know my aspirations for my future; however, I often over think the possibility of obliterating my future by failing my present. It is that mindset that I must grow beyond. Carol Dweck is very empowering and this was my first time hearing about her.




Image Information: She Believed Quote by Maria Flickr


I used the quote in the image to the left, because it illustrates the coming out of a growth mindset. You have believe that you can even after failing. You must make up your mind and put that determination into action.

Comments

  1. What a funny coincidence! I agree with all of your comments about this growth mindset!! I am a Political Science/Pre-Law student, and feel the same way when it comes to academics. Even when I score well on things, I can't help but focus in on all the things I got wrong, and how in law school people are going to not be making all of the mistakes that I do. We just have to stay positive and keep moving forward while understanding that imperfections are what makes us human!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all culprits of having fixed mindsets at some point in our lives. It is a hard habit to break. It is good that you can realize it when you do feel that way. I think that is the first step in changing and improving. It is definitely not an easy thing to overcome, but the changes are well worth the effort. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove