Time Strategies

        
Image Information:Bulletin Board of Post its Flickr

         "Our motivation to start any task depends on us seeing value in it, yet we place more value on what is happening currently over what the future holds and justify this decision by emotionally disconnecting ourselves from our future selves" (Just Starting). These words from Jory Mackay in the article The Important Habit of Just Starting epitomizes the main reasoning as to why we procrastinate and why some of our personal goals remain unaccomplished. A lot of the time people say focus on the now, because we don’t always have tomorrow. This ideology seems to be running ramped in my generation and the generations beneath me. Focusing on the now gives people the opportunity to forget about their responsibilities and to make rash decisions. This is where the term YOLO, you only live once, was derived. After staying up late studying for an exam well into the darker hours of the morning, I heard one of my peers say, “I’m done studying with this exam. Oh well. YOLO!” That was a response or excuse to postpone the amount of time and effort being put into retaining knowledge. It is obvious that the level of motivation had disappeared. However, it is much more difficult to find motivation to begin a task than it is to continue carrying out a task that is already in progress. Jory’s article focused on advancing past the mindset of “that’ll do” and the promises “to do better tomorrow.” You have to plan for tomorrow today. 
        With that being said, I feel that I could organize and manage my time better with this course. Earlier this week, I found myself ahead, but later on this week, I found myself turning in assignments the same day they were due. I understand that the course allows for convenience; however, you still must schedule and hardline a time where productivity is accomplished. I think that I should spread out my six hours instead of isolating my time to two days. One thing the article did suggest was to be more concrete with times. Instead of saying that I’m going to complete my work on Tuesday and Thursday, I should say that I will do my work on Tuesday and Thursday at 4:30pm. The best way to stay ahead is to stay on schedule. 



 Mackay, Jory. "The Important Habit of Just Starting." Lifehacker. Lifehacker.com, 14 Apr. 2016. Web. 20 Jan. 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove