Reading Notes: Public Domain Edition, Part A

         I really liked the content of Part A in the Public Domain Edition of Ramayana. I noticed that the author used  a lot of imagery to tell the story. There was a lot of detail in regards to rituals, marriages, sacrifices, as well as royalty. From the passage, I noticed that I would need to utilize more descriptions and background stories for new characters. When the passage introduced the two different kingdoms and characters, such as Dasharatha, therew was a hyperlink attachment leading to Wikipedia to further explanation of that character. The reader has the potential to get lost in the plot of the story if there is no connection of new characters to main characters. In addition, labeling the "chapter" also assists with the progression of the story. 

         Two of my favorite passages were the chapters about Ahyla and Rama and Sita's Wedding. These passages caught my creative eye due to their uniqueness that I would like to implement in my storytelling segment. For these two passages, the author used a format that showed a poetic influence. The story was told through two, six- lined stanzas, one, four-lined stanza, and one, three-lined stanza. Beyond the structure, I noticed that this format was used in times of admiration and happiness. The Ahyla "poem" was about the beauty she possessed, while Ahyla and Rama and Sita's Wedding praised the idea of unity, happiness, and love. I believe this correlation is associated with the idea of poetry being romantic. That was my perception. Because I like poetry, I think that I will use the rhyming stanza format. 

 
Image Information: Rama and his brothers' wedding.Source


The image above was included in the reading. If you look closely, some of the faces, in my opinion, look as though they are portraying jealousy. I believe that this was foreshadowing, for unforeseen events followed Rama Bharata's wedding. I will use this sort of imaging. 


Bibiliography: Dutt et. al. Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition. Ramayana Online source.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove