Reading Notes Part B: Sita Sings the Blues



Sita Cries A River. Commons.Wikimedia

This Part B of the novel immediately gave me an idea about how I'm going to build my storybook. My storybook is going to  be a visual album; the same format that famous singers and songwriters have released to the public. I have a love for music and I feel that I could really incorporate this aspect to enhance the creativeness of my assignment. This half of the Ramayana  illustrated more moments that the Public Domain Edition didn't capitalize. There were several sections in Sita Sings the Blues that she sang and was given time to lament. I do feel that her character was weakened. She was portrayed as a stronger individual and asset to her husband in the PDE unlike this version. Furthermore, I like how the producer actually uses the color blue to illustrate her sadness. Even the content of the songs reflect the moments passing by. 

The image above made me think about Justin Timberlake's song, Cry Me A River, which takes on a similar story line to Rama and Sita's love. The song talks about the damage being done by the female significant other and that she must leave because he isn't changing his mind. Rama dismisses and exiles Sita because she is pregnant and doesn't believe that those are his children. He makes Sita prove herself as virtuous, and even then he is in disbelief.  



Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blues. By Nina Paley. You Tube. N.p., 10 Mar. 2009. Web. 7 Feb. 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove