Reading Notes Part A: Sita Sings the Blues

Sita Sings the Blues Frame from Nina Paley. Creative Commons
I really liked this film depiction of the Ramayana. It included a lot of the details concerning Sita's feelings. The story was a combination of several stories that explained the Ramayana.
This film took a comical and almost satirical approach. The images in the video were obnoxious, but it kept the reader involved. Some of the commentary included, "Sita and Ravana made their way to Sri Lanka, but they really meant Lanka." I feel that I could use this same approach with my story book. I could make small changes to names and places. 

Furthermore, this story depicted Sita as more of a damsel. She seemed to need Sita's permission for a lot of her activities. Sita explicitly stated this during her interaction with Ravana and his coercion to marry him. 

Sita singing the blues is a great way to personify her feelings and to advance the plot. I like how at one point in the film she is singing and the record skips. It's very symbolic


Bibliography: Nina Paley. Sita Sings the Blues. Film

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove