Week 10 Storytelling: More than a Charm


Down the long, dark corridor we walk.

I waited patiently for her to begin to talk. 



All the hidden history spewed from her mouth,

and my throat closed up as though I were suffering from a drought.



Louder and louder my heart would thump
just as the shadows chasing across the walls made me jump.

It's like my life began to unfold.
What else is there that has to be told?

Further and further I dragged my feet on.
In this windowless corridor, I couldn't tell if it was dusk or dawn.

Time felt as though it had paused.
I've been dragged into this new dimension to continue some sort of cause.

On and on about my parents' life the rakshasi explains,
and the tears star falling down like the spring time rains.

Click and clack we reach the end of the hall
as I stop and stare at the birch bark door so high and tall.

A future awaits behind these doors.
As soon as I pull the handles, I can't turn back anymore.


There's so much to study and to see, 
because this new world is now the new me. 
~~~~~~~~~~
Shala's breath hitched as she pulled the rusty knobs of the large doors. The hall is so quiet that you can hear a pin drop. Shala opens the door and the room explodes with color and light.  Shala is awestruck and takes a three sixty turn admiring the entire room. "This is such a huge surprise and completely opposite of what I saw in the tunnel,"exclaimed Shala.

Shala kept turning. Almost every wall from floor to ceiling was shelved with ancient books of every size bound with every color imaginable. On one of the walls there were rows and rows of mail and amour all uniquely shaped and sized differently. There were suits with openings for several arms. Bronze, silver, and gold glimmered off that wall onto the ceiling and the black marble floors. Shala was so entranced by this room that she missed seeing the rakshasi guiding her slip into room behind the artifacts case.

Out of all of the wonders in the room, the wall of windows is Shala's favorite.

Shala walks to the windows that extended from the crown molded ceilings to the dark floors and said, "Wow, what is this place? Where am I? It's beautiful here."  To Shala's surprise she is looking at a world flowing with pinks and purples instead of a world engulfed with flames and infernos.

The rakshasi replied, "You are on Mount Kailash. Your parents erected this land of flowers, foliage, and bliss just for their liking. It is cloaked with magic to make it appear less appealing by those on the outside. It looks like just a volcano to other rakshasas.

The raskshasa continued to narrate about the history of the mountain. Through the thick glass, Shala admired the snow-capped mountains, pink skies, and white clouds as far the eye could see.

"There's no way this could be happening, but I guess there is. What am I going to do? What is this job that I have to perform? Why am I a rakshasi?" Shala thought.

Just as she completes this thought, the female rakshasi walks up to her and says," Your parents knew that you were going to be a noble one from birth. They received a boon from a brahmin that gave you the power to be invincible to the hand and schemes of serpents, other raksasas, and spirits. You see these artifacts on the pedestals and these thick manuals? They were your parents'. It tells the tale of your future and gives you instructions on how to restore the balance."

"Restore the balance?!"exclaimed Shala.

"Yes! Lower your voice. I am to be respected. Yes, you will restore the balance. With your birth came the tipping of the scale between good and evil. You were granted so much power; however, neither devas or danavas knew what side you would fight for so they tried to eliminate you completely. They tried to kill your mother; however, they failed to do so. Rakshasas and gods around the world were jealous and determined to gain the power you possessed. Our warlord, so arrogant and evil, performed a ritual so dark that he was able to receive a similar "blessing" that you possess. From that moment, he has been terrorizing both demons and gods. You have the power to stop him. It is your calling and your parents' dying wish? Will you take this vow?"

Shala turns to face the rakshasi and croaks, "I will"


Author's Note: This story is the sequel to a story in my portfolio called My Life's A Charm. It illustrates the coming of knowledge moment that Shala receives about her new life as a rakshasi. She finds out more about her parents and how she is tied to this New World. The story of the warlord and the power that she possesses comes from the comic, Lord of Lanka.  This comic was about the rise and fall of Ravana after he received a boon from Brahma to be invincible.
Furthermore, Mount Kailash was pulled from the story about Shiva and Sati. This couple was the parents of many Indian characters; however, they are known for their minimalist living upon the mount of Kailash. Shala's parents wanted a minimalist life for their lives and their child as they wanted to refrain from exhibiting the demon-like aspect of a rakshasa. This story isn't comprised of a lot of action or violence. I did not want to reveal too much of Shala's battle to restore the balance between good and evil. My goal was to give more insight to the reader about the role of the warlord and why Shala's charm finally manifested into a rakshasi.

Bibliography:
Reading Notes about Shiva and Sati. http://popesposts.blogspot.com/2017/03/reading-notes-gleanings-from-indian.html

The Lord of Lanka: The Rise and Fall of a Demon King. Vol. 541. Mumbai, India: Amar Chitra Katha, Ack-media, 2011. Kindle.




Comments

  1. Hey Hannah,
    I really like this story. I love how you start the story off with the couplet style intro, then move on to normal paragraphs. It provides a little variety which is nice, and doesn't clutter the format or make the story confusing at all. You always do really well with your word choice and description, so good job on that. Overall, this is a great story, awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I was a little confused on what the story was about, but your author’s note section helped me understand that it was a continuation from your portfolio. I really liked your story! This is a really interesting and creative story. I like the direction that you took it. I look forward to reading more of your portfolio! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading the first part to this story for the portfolio assignment, so I decided to come back and check out the next installment! I don’t know if I mentioned it last time, but I really like the way you use poems at the beginning of each story in this series; it sets the stage nicely for what’s to come, but also links all the episodes together really well. I think your decision to pull back on the action this time around was a smart move, too; it gives the reader a chance to sit back and process what’s happening, and the story the chance to pave the way with context for the upcoming battle. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah, I really enjoyed reading the last story in your portfolio this week. I wanted to read some more from you because I really enjoyed what I had last read. I think that you writing style is so interesting. I really like how you started the story with the italics and really set the scene for the story. There is a sense of creativity in the way that you write. I think that your story was not too action packed this week and I liked the more mellow story. As a reader I enjoyed your story and I think that you did a good job of making sure I had no questions. I really enjoyed reading your story this week. Good job and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove