Week 6 Storytelling:Best Thing I Never Had

"Amber get it together, looked enthused, and suck it in. You're about to marry the love of your life. He's a great man. Don't ruin it for us like you did the last time.
 I don't need another lawsuit and a front page spread in the newspaper," said Amber's father as they stood arm in arm soon to head down the aisle.

My shiny sea foam colored eyes were filled with animosity and guilt all while this morning's breakfast violently churned in my gut alongside the feeling of anxiety and apprehension.

"Why do I feel like what I am doing is so wrong? This just doesn't feel right, but I will make it right for my parents.," Amber thought.

I picked up my cobalt blue stilettos in sync with Hear Comes the Bride and trudged down the aisle. I could feel my fathers excitement from the pep in his step to finally gain a son-in law after having lost two potential candidates. The faster he walked to the front, the heavier my feet became, weighing me down like cinder blocks of lead chained to my feet. As I was being practically dragged down the center row of the pews, I looked around at all of the guests. I could see my favorite Aunt Sally, my bother and his wife, my kindergarten teacher, my high school teacher, half the police force, who was mostly here to support my dad, and last but not least my mother, face covered in little lint particles and make up smeared.

Amber groans internally, "I'm not sure if I can let my mom down. This is tough. She looks so overjoyed, even though her eyes are puffy from crying so much."

As I finally locked eyes with my soon to be husband, Bhishop, a pit fell in my stomach, but that didn't stop me from walking. I reached the altar and stood under an archway that looked as though it was taken directly from the gazebo in a tourist garden. The white wrought iron arch was threaded with streams of purls. long, running vines of ivory, and adorned with several over-sized lotuses and hanging kopou phul.

I was awakened and returned from my entrancement by the obnoxious laughter of the audience.

"She's so in love that she's already daydreaming about the honeymoon and their future that she can hardly stay in tune with the ceremony," said the pandit, or preacher.

"That's hardly the case," Amber mumbled. The ceremony continued.

"We've come to the part of the ceremony where both Amber and Bhishop will vow to become one, vow to support each, vow to be a friend, vow to be partner, and vow to be a cornerstone on which their relationship can stand," exclaimed the pandit.

"Sweat is beading on my neck and pouring down my back. I'm pretty positive I look like a greased pig."

Amber is wavering in her decision to marry Bhishop, but her window to voice this discomfort and uncertainty is closing.

"Do you take this man, Bhishop, as your lawfully wedded husband?

Amber sucked in a huge breathe and faked a smile saying, "I do..." She paused and her face fell, "not."

The crowd erupted in both shouts and cackling and then fell silent.

"I can explain Bhishop, but it's a little more complicated. The Shaw guy that I've been telling you about from high school and at the gallery. I fell in love with him and I still love him.

Bhishop nodded, "I understand and I knew. Yes, I knew but I thought we could make this work. I thought you loved me more. I don't want you to live your life torn and imbalanced. Go to Him."

My heart was filled with joy. I gave him a hug and a peck on the cheek. "I will remember your warm embrace, but it's time for me to fly."

Amber took off running down the aisle. The church doors flew open blowing her dress up in a whirlwind and Amber ran for the hills


Bride Walking Away. Image Source
The news editor camera flashes. Click! "Ha, ha, haaaa! She's done it again." said the columnist. "She's done it again? That's it! The perfect headline."



The church cleared, but Bhishop remained paralyzed at the altar stricken with grief. A darkness flashed in his eyes. "There has to be more to this Shaw-kid."

Through closed gritted teeth, Bhishop spat, "Vengeance is mine. I iwill seize him."


Shadow Puppet Amba
Author's Note: This story is taken from the story of Amba in the Public Domain Edition of the Mahabharata. Amba was a princess who was set to marry Bhisma, the gaurdian of the imperial house. However, Amba was in love with the King of Shalwas and yearned to be with him. He current love rejected and dismissed her emotions. Bhisma allowed Amba to leave, but not before humiliating her and treating her disdainfully. I used Bhishop as the Bhisma character and Amba became Amber. I set the story in modern times, but I had subtle Indian cultural influences which were the plants on the arch. I chose to alter the story by initally portraying Bhishop as the good guy by peacefully allowing Amba to leave, yet he remained bitter. I also eliminated the aspect where, in the original story, Amba began to wither away and lose her beauty while waiting for her other lover to accept her. The King of Shalwas lost his feeling for affection. In my passage, Bhisop is uneasy about the other man, Shaw.





Bibliography: Arold et. al. Mahabharata: Public Domain Edition.web 

Comments

  1. I loved your story, Hannah!! Run-away bride scenes are always so incredible. I am a huge Grey's Anatomy fan, and one of my favorite episodes is when Jackson objects at April's wedding, and they turn around and run out together. I really like the perspective you told this story from, both in real time and showing her inner monologue. I also really like how you showed the perspective of the other characters, like how excited her dad was. This really helped the story come full circle and explained the full gravity of what was happening. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I agree with Maddy by saying this is a great story! I am not really into “run-away bride scenes” but it definitely kept my attention throughout the entire thing. The dialogue made it really have a modern feel to it. I always have trouble using dialogue in my story but your whole thing seemed to progress on dialogue alone. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove