More than A Charm: Storytelling Planning


Rakshasas stories in the corridor.

Down the long, dark corridor we walk.
I waited patiently for her to begin to talk. 

All the hidden history spewed from her mouth,
and my throat closed up as though I were suffering from a drought

Louder and louder my heart would thump
just as the shadows chasing across the walls made me jump.

It's like my life began to unfold.
What else is there that has to be told?

Further and further I dragged my feet on
In this windowless corridor, I couldn't tell if it was dusk or dawn.

Time felt as though it had paused
I've been dragged into this new dimension to continue some sort of cause

On and on about my parents' life the rakshasi explains
And the tears star falling down like the spring time rains

Click and clack we reach the end of the hall
as I stop and stare at the birch bark door so high and tall.

A future awaits behind these doors
As soon as I pull the handles, I can't turn back anymore.

There's so much to study and to see,
because this new world is now the new me. 




The poem above will be the beginning of my story for the sequel to my first story in my portfolio, My Life's a Charm.I thought that I would be ready to write the story; however, I decided to take on a new Growth Mindset challenge by writing my story first and doing more research on rakshasa stories. I plan on doing additional research. I want to make my story longer and really play into my theme of "cliffhanger" endings. In the previous story, Shala has just been transported into the rakshasa world and is learning more about how her parents and the doll rakshasi are interrelated. I'm trying to decide what role Shala is supposed to take as a demon. Do I want her to follow her parent's footsteps or embody the characters from the gleanings in my reading notes.

Bibliography:Dutt, Manmatha Nath. Gleanings from Indian Classics: Tales. 1893



Comments

  1. Hi Hannah,
    I am unfamiliar with this tale, so the fact that you are taking on something so unique is really admirable. I agree that research, while it takes a little longer, ends up benefitting the outcome of your story more. Because this tale is so unique, I hope that you would consider adding a heavy detailed Author's Note so that readers are aware of what the original story was about. I am looking forward to seeing how your story ends up turning out in your portfolio. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earlier I read your story and really enjoyed it, so I thought might as well go read your planning for it! I like that you incorporated the poem into this post. I also like that you incorporated the Growth Mindset challenge into your explanation for the planning. Having the Growth Mindset in the back of your mind is important. This type of mindset really allows you to grow as a student and author. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove