Week 8 Reflections

Sincerely, Sara

The quote above has the most applicable connotation when it comes to describing and summarizing my creative writing and reading experience thus far. All of the stories that have been presented in this course have been interesting; however, the storytelling aspect is a work in progress. I'm wanting to believe Anne Lamott's ideology behind good writing. My posts in this class are evidence of the "need to start somewhere." Initially, I struggled coming up with storytelling, and I admit that I still have struggles. I'm not sure if this issue is accredited to my note taking strategies during reading or if I'm just accustomed to writing prompts. In a way, the Indian Epics are prompts; however, when I'm creating a new story, I strive to greatly alter the story so that I don't look as though I am plagiarizing or depending on the original story line for story completion. After reading the stories of my peers, I've felt as though some of my stories are mediocre and could be improved. It makes me question my writing style. I've noticed that I produce stronger stories when I focus on embodying the feeling of one character. I want to make sure the reader can connect with my characters and feel like they are a part of the plot and scene. I feel like other people's stories have been doing a great job with using a lot of imagery and the original story. With that being said, I feel that I've been giving good feedback. I focus on the positives in the passage, address a negative, and finish with a positive comment. After reviewing my past posts and assignments, I that I would like to approach a variety of passages for the next 8 weeks. Because I like mythology and gods and goddesses, I think that will focus on Nivedita.Kali the Mother, Underworld King, and Gleaning from Indian Classic:Tales. I'm really looking forward to the new passages in the next few weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove