Reading Notes: Gleanings from Indian Classics: Tales

The reading notes for Part A were split into four different stories. I decided to take notes on each section.

Battles of Gods and Demons
The story is set around the Creation and balance of the universe under the direction of the Trinity. I liked this idea, as it reminded me of the holy trinity in the bible, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Some Christian based religions don't recognize the three. This chapter presented the preface of the story. It set the tone that the story was going to be about good versus evil, Devas versus Danavas. The story talks about how the war between the demons and gods began. It started with the sharing of ambrosia, an immortalising liquid to be given to both demons and gods to preserve them; however, the demons did not receive their predetermined portion. 

I got the idea to continue my story, My Life's A Charm. from this chapter. It talked about the gods living in peace until a certain demon was born and built up the army. 

Shiva and Sati
This story talked about the land of the many colored flowers and folliage, Asparis and Kinnaris. This was where Shiva ad Sita made their home. It made me think about making the parents of my characters embody these two figures. Shiva's wife, Sati was depicted as a minimalist and lived without the luxuries of the nobility. She wanted to live in perfect bliss, which is why both she and her husband lived on the peaks of Mout Kailash. 


Shiva and Sita on Mount Kailash


Prahlada
Prahlada was the boy of two tyrants. The oxymoron with Prahlada was that he wanted no part of the vile tirades that his parents carried out. He wanted to learn everything having to do with virtue and staying morally sound. His evil tutors chastised him. This part of the story yet again gave me more ideas for the background of my previous story. 


Bibliography: Dutt, Manmatha Nath. Gleanings from Indian Classics: Tales. 1893

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove