Reading Notes: Make Up Reading Appendix 1

The Descent of Ganga. Wikimedia Commons

I missed Monday's reading; therefore, on Tuesday, I decided to make my reading notes over Appendix 2. With that being said, it was logical for me to go back and read Appendix 1: The Story of the River Ganges. This story is told by Visvamitra, the character I took notes about in Tuesday's notes. I'm actually really happy I was able to read about Visvamitra before this passage. 


In Appendix 1, I really focused on the goddes Siva and her lack of mercy to her people and how the river Ganges came from Visnu's foot. The emergency of the river Ganges from a foot reminded me of the birth of Athena and how she came from the splitting of Zeus' forehead. With that being said, having mythology on my mind, I thought the river Ganges to be symbolic of Poseidon and the wonders of the seas. When Visnu, who can be representative of Poseidon, kicked the shell of the universe, water began to flow and Ganga fell to the heavens. Her birth brought slain princes back to life. 

















Bibliography: Dharma, Krsna. The Story of the River Ganges. Ramayan. Online

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction from a Coffee Connoisseur

Storytelling: MyLife's a Charm

Week 4 Storytelling: My Savior In Ashoka Grove